Sunday, July 4, 2010

Feeders and Growers

The babies were both doing well the next day and we were informed that neither babies were breathing well on their own and did not require additional oxygen. This was a a big hurdle for us because it is extremely common for preemies to need some oxygen. They were also assessed daily for jaundice and we also dodged that bullet. Overall, our NICU exprience was minor compared to many stories we've heard. Our babies were designated as "feeders and growers" meaning that they just needed to eat and gain weight to be released. Of course, the catch was they had to gain weight for several days in a row AND be able to get all their food from breast or bottle. This was a challenge for us because it took 4 days for my milk to fully come in and they were not strong enough to take all their meals that way. After trying to use a small tube taped to my breast that the babies sucked on while nursing, we ended up having to use gavage tubes for each of them. Gavage tubes go through their noses and into their stomachs. It was hard to see them with tubes taped to their faces, but we knew they were getting the nutrition they needed. After a few days of using the gavages and nursing them, Emerson still wasn't gaining the weight he needed to. The conclusion was that he was nursing too long and burning more calories than he was taking in. So, as a last resort and after much thought, we opted for a breast and bottle feeding. The babies each nursed for 5-10 minutes, then took an ounce of breast milk or formula (if I didn't have enough pumped milk) for the rest of their feed. They both gained weight and were released to go home after 8 days in the NICU. It was a happy day for all of us!! Our insurance company approved my stay for 4 days after surgery. After I was released, we were allowed to stay at the hospital with the babies in a room a floor above them. Craig stayed with me most nights in my cramped room. Every 3 hours around the clock we would get up and go downstairs to the NICU to feed the babies. After each feeding, I would pump then go back to bed before the next feeding. It was a rigorous schedule and I found myself very teary much of the time. I was sooooo ready to be home and I was extremely sleep deprived.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What an adventure the four of you have been on the past couple weeks! I'm so glad your little babies are well and growing!