Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wow!


I didn't think it was possible, but today's appointment was even better than last week's! Today I got to hear the heartbeat. So, so, so amazing!! I can't even put into words the great feeling that washed over me as that *thump, thump* filled the room! Wow!


The ultrasound picture is actually starting to look like a baby (alien?) now. The circle on the right is the egg yolk, which provides the baby with nutrients (I had to look that up!). I could clearly see the head, body and leg buds. I know the arm buds are supposed to be visible too, but I didn't see them. Maybe our baby doesn't have arms?? ;-)


All of my hormone levels looked great and our last day of injections is this Sunday! Whoop! We are both thrilled! The doctor was looking for a heartbeat between 120-180 and ours was 150, so we're right in the middle.


As far as pregnancy symptoms go, I'm still feeling really good. The last week I've been craving potatoes and pasta. Apparently this baby likes carbs! I've also had a few candy cravings...in fact, one night last week after dinner I had to make a run to the store for banana laffy taffy. The only aversion I've had thus far is decaf coffee. This makes me very sad because it was my last hope to drink my morning coffee. I've officially decided that it's not the caffeine in coffee that I love so much, it's the flavor! Oh well, no more yummy coffee flavor for the time being...


Next Wednesday is our last appointment with our RE (reproductive endocrinologist). I'm going to miss the familiarity of his office and his wonderful staff, but it will be nice to be a "normal" pregnant person going to a regular doctor. Actually, I'm going to be making appointments with at least one doctor and one midwife soon so I can interview them and make a decision about who my caregiver will be. Anyone with insight into this, please share. I have heard pros and cons of both doctors and midwives, but would like to hear more opinions.


Just today we started telling a few more people about my pregnancy. We are excited to start spreading the news to our other friends and co-workers!


As a side note, we have had two unnamed people refer to my pregnancy as my "situation" and my "condition". Ha ha...there is your laugh for today.


8 comments:

Domrese Family Blog said...

I'm so glad your "situation" is going well. I LOVE reading about your "condition." :) I knew you'd LOVE this appointment!!!! It's one of the best!!!!! Hearing that heartbeat for the first time is just undescribable!!! Amazing!!!

Leaving the RE is bittersweet. You will definitely miss him and the staff. It's so great having the regularity and the familiarity of that office. Plus, for a while they space out your next appts at a regular office, so you don't get that regular look at the baby and progress.

Kelly said...

Great! I'm so glad to hear your appointments are going so well, and I'm thrilled that you had such a wonderful mommy moment when you heard the heartbeat!!

Your baby's little leg buds are so cute!! That's just so amazing that all of a sudden this week the human form is visible, when last week it wasn't! Must've been the banana Laffy Taffy! :)

lol--you should consider keeping track of all the weird things strangers do/say throughout your pregnancy--people just get *weird* and bold around pregnant ladies!

Nicole said...

Yeah, I can't wait for the "Oh wow!" "You're getting so big!" That will be a self-esteem booster! :-)

kdztucker said...

My favorite was "don't worry, it's all baby"...did I say I was worried? :). Oh Nicole, I love reading this stuff. The moment of hearing the heartbeat is where Jon cried. Has Craig cried yet? haha. It's all so amazing though and I'm still just tickled pink for you! This baby seems more like an "uber" miracle so it's all just that extra bit of special. Hey, have you considered having a doula? I know a couple of friends who've gone with a doula and have loved it. You get your regular appts. with a doctor and then the intimacy of the midwife at the birth. You should check it out! Call me soon and we can gush together about the little developments! We called Liam our little Zygote forever. Love you!

Nicole said...

I haven't really thought about a doula, but that's an option. I really need to make a decision (or at least some appointments) soon. The midwife I'm going to interview is in an office with several doctors, so I feel really good about that choice. However, it will depend on her personality and such.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I had a doula and loved it. I chose that option however, because there wasn't a CNM in the area and I wasn't interested in a lay midwife or a home birth (blech). I'd encourage you to go to a midwife, but then I am a little biased. As always, my recommendation is that you give Miss Julie a call to get a straight up description of the options. She'd love to hear from you, and would be able to lay all those pros and cons out. BTW, if you're interested, she'll actually be in Scow town on the 17th or 18th...she has a good friend in Post falls, so maybe she'll head your way and visit you both.

ctdigthis said...

You have to tell me once you tell other people at work about your little peanut. Everytime I see you it's so hard not to say anything. Who does know at work???

I loved my experience with my OB. It was great, fast, easy, pretty unpainful. I was very confident in his experience and his sense of humor as well as his personality. I don't have anything to compare that to though. I'm sure you will make an excellent choice. So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Na! As you probably know, I love love loved my midwife experience. of course, she is also my sister in law so i was completely comfortable with her. and a home birth was the way to go for me. she is a licensed midwife (an LM) so not a CNM but not a lay person. I would definitely recommend having a doula either way because they can really be with you every step of the way where as a doctor (and even a midwife) is really only there during the last part. plus, if you're interested in limiting the amount of medical interventions (epidurals, etc), a doula can really really help with pain management and keep your priorities voiced for you. anyway, we're just so excited for you!!!
gillian