Monday, December 14, 2009

Staying Positive

It's amazing how much longer it takes for our doctor to examine me this time. He spends a fair amount of time on each baby....measuring them, looking at them, checking their heartbeats. This morning we got the pleasure of hearing the heartbeats of two of the babies. This was Craig's first time hearing a baby heartbeat because he wasn't at my appointment with our last pregnancy when I heard it. The reason we only heard two hearbeats is because we lost our littlest baby. Before you get too sad for us, remember, we are still having twins and we feel completely blessed! On so many levels having twins sounds a lot more managable than having triplets. Craig and I both breathed a sigh of relief at two babies instead of three. Here are the advantages I can easily come up with: my pregnancy will likely be healthier, as I should be able to carry the twins to 36 weeks or so; we will be able to use a local OB instead of a high-risk OB in Spokane; I can still nurse; I may be able to have a vaginal delivery; it will be easier for us to do things as a family after the babies are born because we won't have three to tote around.

As for our twins, they are doing really well. Both are the exact same size (7weeks 4 days) and have the same heartbeat (158). I am 7 weeks 5 days pregnant, so they are right on schedule for size.

I am getting bigger and wearing Bella Bands everyday to hold my unbuttoned pants up. I'm beginning to wonder if we will be able to wait until 12 weeks to tell everyone, because I'm starting to look pretty pregnant. I was reading in the book, When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy, that a twin mom is the same size as a singleton mom who is 6-8 weeks further along. So going by that, I guess I look like I'm 13-16 weeks pregnant. The morning sickness comes in waves now, and generally occurs when I haven't eaten for 2 or more hours. I know, I know, two hours isn't very long but my body is ALWAYS hungry! I've also continued to be very tired. All in all, I feel really great though! I'm enjoying pregnancy so far.

We only have one more appointment, next Monday, with our RE. We will then start seeing an OB and we will officially be like any other "normal" expecting parents. The next appointment was when we found out about our miscarriage last time, so we are both a little nervous because we've never made it past this point. We also found out today that we get to stop doing the progesterone injections this Thursday. This is a very big deal because we've been doing them everyday since November 4! I'm sure I will have to write a post about how happy I am later in the week. :)

Thank you all for your continued prayers, and support. It helps us get through all the ups and downs of this process.

No comments: