Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm a normal pregnant woman now

It's weird. I don't know if I like being normal. I got so used to the weekly ultrasounds, the numerous phone calls and appointments in Spokane with our fertility specialist. It's going to take me awhile to get use to being normal.

That all being said, the first appointment went well. I met my very friendly nurse who was really excited about twins. She gave me a lot of good information in the form of books, journals and folders that I need to sit down and read. She also informed me that I get to pee in a cup each time I go visit them. Oh joy. Thankfully, I had downed a water bottle on my way to the office this morning (I guess I was thirsty), so I was ready to provide a "sample". She did all the typical nurse stuff (weight, blood pressure, questions about medicines and vitamins I'm taking). I then got to go into my OB's office to meet her. My first impression was that she was very business-like, but that she seemed knowledgeable. She told me all the important information about making sure to eat a balanced diet, drink lots of water, get enough calcium and take my prenatal vitamin. She also asked me a million questions about my health, Craig's health and our families health history. The only point of contention came when she told me that with twins she likes to do a scheduled c-section around 38 weeks. I'm not against c-sections, and I realize because we're having twins I may have to have a c-section but I thought it was interesting that that's her normal protocol for twins. I told her that if both babies were head down and about the same size I really wanted to try to deliver vaginally. She replied that we could decide when it got closer, but that I needed to realize the possible risk to myself and the babies if after the 1st one was delivered, the 2nd went breech and she had to do an emergency c-section. Okay, I understand that. I will continue to discuss it with her and try to persuade her, but ultimately she's the one with the experience delivering twins (2-3 sets/year), so I should probably trust her. The next part of the appointment was fun...she did a transvaginal (internal) ultrasound on a machine that was about 100 years old! I'm not kidding. The thing was ancient! It was great to get a peek at the babies though. They are both growing really well...they went from 18mm to 42mm in 2 weeks!! They more than doubled their size!! Wow! They were both moving around a lot. She said they both looked great. I'm not going to post the pictures because they aren't very clear.

My belly is getting bigger, though I've only gained 5 lbs. I asked my Dr. about weight gain and she told me not to worry about that, but just to focus on eating well. As a result of the growing belly, I've been using Palmer's Cocoa Butter twice a day, every day since I was 6 weeks along (thanks for that tip Susana).

I'm still feeling great. My energy level seems to be improving and my after work naps are only necessary on occasion. I'm quickly approaching the 2nd trimester. I'm not sure where the time went, but I'm really trying to enjoy every moment of pregnancy!

I have an ultrasound on January 21 (I will be 13 weeks). Apparently the office I'm going to only uses a 3D ultrasound machine, so we are looking forward to seeing our babies in 3D in a couple weeks! That will be an hour and a half appointment and our first external ultrasound. Exciting!

1 comment:

Domrese Family Blog said...

Wow! Interesting protocol on the c-section. The whole flipping thing is always a risk, but I've never heard it being the cause for a scheduled c-section. Yes, eat well, and eat lots. Eating is way easier now than it will be soon enough! Glad your appt went well. Can't wait for the next one. Too bad it's so far away. What will I do while I wait?! :)