Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Birthing Classes and Dr. Appointment

It's only Tuesday, but it's already been a busy week for us! Last night we had our first birthing class. It was pretty interesting. We learned lots of things, but the primary focus was on relaxation techniques for labor. We learned about how to do massage during contractions, and ways to labor more comfortably by walking around and moving into various positions to ease the pain. We have classes for 6 weeks, 2 hours each week. By the time we're done I suspect we will be much more comfortable with the whole labor and delivery process. One of the most exciting things we learned was that the hospital we're delivering at is very well regarded. The class is in no way affiliated with the hospital, so that was great to hear. We were told that they are 1 of only 50 hospitals in the U.S. that is "baby friendly". That means that the babies will be given to us right after delivery and will remain on my chest to bond for at least the first hour. The apgar tests will also be done while they are on my chest. In most hospitals the baby is taken to be weighed, measured, etc. That is not the case at our hospital. The other aspect about "baby friendly" is that no bottles or pacifiers will be given to them without us okaying it first. In fact, they are a pro-nursing hospital and do not allow formula samples to be given to their new parents. We found all of that reassuring because we would really like to be successful with nursing and need all the help we can get because we know it will be very hard with two!

I also had an appointment today. My intention was to ask her several questions, including my most pressing question about being done working at the end of May. I have been thinking for a week or so that the end of May would be a good time to be done. I will be 32 weeks along at that point and if I only make it to 36-38 weeks, I would like to have some time to relax at home before the babies arrive. I also think I will be too big to effectively do my job. Unfortunately, my doctor said I'm doing so well that unless something changed with my health or the babies, she would not write me a note to release me from work. That wouldn't be a big deal, but I would like to use my short-term disability benefit that I've been paying into for the last year and a half. On a happy note, I'm doing really well!! My glucose test came back in the normal range, so no further testing for gestational diabetes. I'm measuring at 33 weeks and I'm only 26 weeks, which is normal for a twin mommy. I only gained 2 more pounds in the last 3 weeks, but she is very happy with my weight.

I will see the other two doctors in the office before I deliver, in the event that one of them is on call and is our delivery doctor. I will also begin seeing my doctor every 2 weeks and will have another ultrasound in 4 weeks (when I'm 30 weeks along). I will begin non-stress tests at 34 weeks and those will be twice a week. They are routine for multiples and designed to measure the babies' heart rates when they are moving, as well as monitor any contractions I may be having.

Our doctor also told me that by our 36 week ultrasound, we will better know the final positions of the babies and will be able to make a decision about our options for delivery.

Whew...this is a long post!! I think I covered it all. Until next time...

No comments: