Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The details

I woke up this morning at 4am because I was so sick. My stomach was killing me! I tried to get back to sleep because my alarm was set for 5:15 and I knew if I got up, I'd never get back to sleep. I dozed off a couple of times but mostly just tossed and turned until the alarm went off. I promptly went downstairs to eat a bowl of cereal. It made me feel a little bit better, but I still wasn't feeling great. I popped 2 tums and tried to ignore it.

My blood draw was at 7am and my friend Jen (also an IVFer) and I have a theory that our RE's office calls early if your pregnancy test is positive and later if it's negative. When I received a call at 8:20 (and I had just experienced morning sickness) I was pretty sure it was positive. However, then I got another call from the office 20 minutes later. Oh yeah, and ANOTHER one an hour later. I was starting to panic. Craig and I agreed to meet for lunch so we could listen to the voicemails together. We met at a little place near my office and listened to the messages in the car before going in. The first one went something like this, "Hi Miss Nicole (our nurse calls everyone Miss) this is Karen. When you get this message give me a call." Oh great. What does that mean? Oh and I should mention that Karen is usually very upbeat and was quite neutral in the message. The next message was a hang up. Then the third said, "I've probably already worried you (yep) and I didn't want to leave this on your voicemail (oh no..leave what?) but congratulations!" "We are all so happy for you guys". Craig and I celebrated with hugs and kisses.

I decided to call her back after lunch so she'd know I got the message and because she was obviously dying to talk to me. She repeated how excited they all were and kept saying congratulations. Almost immediately after hanging up she called back...this time she told me how everyone in the office was standing around waiting for my lab results this morning because they were all rooting for us. What wonderful news! We feel very lucky to have such an amazing staff taking care of us.

So, the logistics are....we have another pregnancy test on Friday morning to make sure my numbers are rising (HcG level...pregnancy hormone) and the baby is developing properly. We will then have our first peek at the baby next week sometime. I don't know the date yet, but I'm hoping they can squeeze us in before Thanksgiving. We really want to know how many babies are in there since we transferred 3 embryos. Our HcG level today was very high.....365 for those of you who even know what that means. Generally, but not always, that means a higher chance of multiples.

This probably goes without saying...even though Craig and I are excited, we are also a little scared and cautious after having a miscarriage. We will not be telling anyone who is not on this blog list about the pregnancy until the 12 week mark. Please respect this by not telling your families until we are ready. Thank you, thank you.

I will, of course, keep you all updated as we learn more.

2 comments:

Domrese Family Blog said...

365.....hehehehehehehe...I never had numbers that high at the first draw....hehehehehehehe...

Kelly said...

Wahooo! (Well, y'know, except for the lying in bed awake feeling nastacular part...but you're probably even excited about that, now!)

It must really help with the numerous appointments you have, knowing the staff really, truly cares about you. I'm glad they're taking good care of you!

I hope you have news before Thanksgiving as well; I'm excited to hear what they'll have to say!

I know you're still a bit cautious, but do let yourselves celebrate a little with a nice, calming sigh of relief! Congratulations to you both!!